Hello, my name is Fiona, welcome to my blog!

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Typical Gemini

Hello again! Day Two: What’s your zodiac and how do you think it suits/does not suit your personality?

My birthday is the start of June, that makes me a Gemini. Determined, Social, wary of change, creative, practical, easy going, but not the type to forgive and forget easily.
Now, you may be a fellow Gemini, nodding along to that going, “yep, sounds about right”, I am.

Gotcha.
That wasn’t a description of a Gemini. That was in fact very much a typical Taurus.

I tend not to read too much into horoscopes. I can’t say that I ever take them seriously, to me, they’re always much more of a joke.  Let’s take todays Gemini Horoscope:
Love is in the air - or you could fall for a piece of musicor new fashion style. You could also get lost in thought many times over (keepvaluables close by - carelessness could lead to loss). Of the many ideas thatcould develop into 'bee in your bonnet syndrome', an overseas visit or contactwith those who inhabit very different worlds are possible.

That really could be anyone. How many people hear a new song on the radio and fall in love with it? I’m sure that it won’t only happen to Gemini’s today.
It’s the Forer effect. In 1948, Forer gave a group of students a personality test, before giving them a ‘personalised’ report. The report given to the students was identical, and students were asked to say how accurate they felt it was. The students all ranked the report highly, agreeing that it was an accurate representation of their personalities.

People want to believe that there is a link between their star sign and their personality, hence such general descriptions, applicable to anyone, become regarded as fact. It’s the same as anything, the lucky pair of pants, for example. We seem so eager to apply meaning to coincidences.
For the record,

They say that the typical Gemini is always on the move, hungry for more knowledge and new experiences. They can be two faced and mysterious. A jack of all trades and master of none.
Now, that really is me. Or is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment