Hello, my name is Fiona, welcome to my blog!

Sunday 8 April 2012

Pass the remote...

Day Six: Favourite TV shows
I love watching the television. There is nothing better than settling down after a hard day to watch a few hours of quality and at times a bit naff television.
By a mile my favourite thing to watch is Doctor Who. It’s something that has always been there, even if it was cancelled in November of the year that I was born. There’s a video of me somewhere, about 5 years old dancing around the room singing the Doctor Who theme tune, talking about the Daleks, even though at that point I’m sure that I had never actually seen an episode.
The first episode that I ever saw was ‘Warriors of the Deep’, a 5th Doctor story from 1984 which I saw on UK TV Gold one Saturday morning when I was about 10. The part that stuck in my memory was the episodes monster trying to get through a metal door, and by metal I mean foam. The metal/foam door then fell on the leg of the companion, and I fell about laughing as the Doctor tries his very best to life the door from her leg. I’ve been a fan since then.
I rejoiced when the series was revived in 2005, but I had to watch upstairs on a tiny portable television on 26th March, because heaven forbid the rest of my family missed an episode of Ant and Dec! The revival only made me love it more. My favourite episode of the series so far has been ‘Blink’ which aired on my birthday in 2007, and my Doctor is David Tennant, though Matt Smith grows closer and closer to stealing it with every passing episode.
My love of Doctor Who has led to a love of both of its spin offs, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. Torchwood began in 2006 and was more adult than Doctor Who, but if followed a similar formula, and the lead character was Captain Jack, he had too little time in Doctor Who and it was great to see more of his development. With more Torchwood looking unlikely, it would be great to see him in Doctor Who again. A the other end of the spectrum, ‘The Sarah Jane Adventures’ aired on CBBC and stared Elisabeth Sladen reprising the role of seventies companion Sarah Jane Smith. The show was crafted with just as much quality as any other show, despite it being classed as a children’s TV show. I was upset by Elisabeth Sladen’s death, in early 2011 it came as such a shock as no one had known that she was ill, but it made watching the final three episodes even more poignant, and I’m glad that the series ended on a high and the character of Sarah Jane will live on for a long time.
Moving away from Doctor Who another of my favourite television shows may only have lasted for 14 episodes, but each one of them in a corker. Afterlife created by Stephen Volk who also gave the world the infamous Ghost Watch aired on ITV in 2006 and 2007 and centred around psychic Alison Mundy played by Lesley Sharp and a psychology lecturer who decides to write a book about her played by Andrew Lincoln. I was the first adult drama that I have really watched and I became enthralled by the relationship between Alison and Robert. It ended in 2007, and the series finale is still on that never fails to bring a tear to my eye. I won’t spoil it here, but if you haven’t seen it, I really recommend a watch.
I like my Sci Fi and Drama. I watched the first series of Heroes when it was on the Sci Fi channel, I watched it before many of my friends and raved about it, no one else caught onto it for months, but it slowly went downhill and I’ve only seen half of series 3 and none of the fourth series, but that doesn’t take away from the first series being fantastic, I still watch it. Being Human is another Sci Fi favourite, a show about a ghost, werewolf and vampire sharing a house in Bristol doesn’t sound great on paper, but it is fantastic. The second series, not so good, it seemed to get a bit bogged down with religion and a cult, but it was back on form in series three and although series four saw it loose three established characters, it was still just as good and I eagerly await series five I am also a fan of Downton Abbey and Upstairs, Downstairs, old and new, which has been somewhat overshadowed by the ITV juggernaut. Sherlock is another classic in the making, just when you think there is no more that can be done with the great detective, two of the greatest minds behind Doctor Who come up with this television gold. A third series really can't come quickly enough.
Then of course, there is the more unusual television. The guilty pleasures. One of my current guilty pleasures is Embarrassing Bodies where people too afraid to see a doctor in private, go on the television for millions of people to see their problems instead.  There are the gypsy weddings. I think it’s fascinating that they can have such high morals, no sex before marriage, first communion, and yet they are more than happy to have young girls dressed in next to nothing dancing provocatively. Yet, it’s compulsive viewing, and once I start to watch, I really can’t stop. The same goes for Horrible Histories, which returns tomorrow, it's daft, but it makes history fun and I wish that it had been around years ago!
There’s the television that you can watch and you don’t have to think about watching. Things like Snog,marry, avoid. Half an hour of orange madness, a make under show where tan-tastics are turned into natural beauties, again, something that I don’t think I should like, but once you get started, it gets harder and harder to stop. Celebrity Big Brother is another one, seeing celebrities fight with each other and make utter fools of themselves is always funny, though I draw the line at watching the regular Big Brother, I couldn’t care less about a bunch of nobodies wanting a fast track to fame, though you could say the same about Celebrity Big Brother!.
I do draw the line at some things though. I can’t stand the new breed of reality television, the scripted reality. The Only Way is Essex started the trend and it really has gotten out of hand, culminating in the abysmal Desperate Scousewives. Thank goodness there won’t be any more of that! Then there are things like Glee, something that I should love, all the cheese and singing, but I really can’t stand it at all, I find it too cheesy and the characters just the wrong side of annoying, with the exception of Sue, maybe if it was just about her it would be watchable. One Born Every Minute is another turn off, I don’t get why people would watch it, I don’t want to see a bunch of random women giving birth, people say the cry watching it and that it’s heart-warming, but it’s really not something that I would watch, and that is saying something!


No comments:

Post a Comment